Sunday, November 18, 2012

Reincarnation?

The other day in class James Bailey came to teach us about yoga philosophy. Part of the discussion turned to reincarnation. The idea is that your soul is an energy that moves onto the next life when your body passes. Your memories are not part of that energy, so they don't move with you but at the same time you carry with you a "wisdom", experience, and karma into the next life. I'm not sure how much of it I believe in, but it's interesting to think about.

It might explain why when you meet someone new, you feel as if you've known each other for a long time. It might explain dejavu and immature or mature personalities. If this is the case then I'm pretty sure I have an old soul. If you think about dating with this perspective then it's not about dating some your age, but dating someone whose soul is your soul's age. Right? So then it would pay off to be really aware and connected to yourself.

The idea is that as you pass through lives you should look for enlightenment. I think I believe it to some extent. I feel like as you grow older you naturally grow wiser. It may take one soul 1000 years and another soul 100 years. Either way they will supposedly find their way to enlightenment because I believe that there is only one answer to being enlightened: selflessness, inner contentment, and understanding. This might also explain why I have always had this urge to save the world. I don't know where it came from, but it has always been with me and I have always been aware of it. I've found that it's not a natural feeling for a majority of people. I've always had a good self awareness that others don't seem to have. Maybe I developed it in a past life. Maybe talent is something that you developed in a previous life. This could explain idiot savants or child prodigies. Then again the body you are born into is not of your choice. That might be random. Who knows?

I guess the point is that you can't know. You can only have faith in it. So what's the point of pushing these ideas on others? I think we should just let everyone figure it out for themselves and stop wasting energy trying to persuade someone to believe something you can't prove.

1 comment:

  1. Here's an interesting question: Why believe something you cannot prove?

    This is your younger brother btw.

    ReplyDelete