Wednesday, November 14, 2012

100th Post

One hundred posts ago I started writing about getting healthy. Exercising, eating right, and above all mental health. Since then I have studied nutrition (on my own and through school), become mostly vegetarian, cycled 4000 miles (more or less), run 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, and a marathon. I've tried I don't know how many sports: capoiera, swimming, snowboarding, hip hop, modern dance, swing, salsa, aerial, pole, etc. I'm going to be a yoga teacher.

Beyond the physical, I think I've become mentally stable. I used to walk into classes feeling self conscious and shy; I would worry more about what others thought of me than how I was doing. I would always compare myself to the better people. Today it doesn't matter how good or bad I am because I've fully realized that it doesn't matter. I'm focused on doing what I can do in that moment, good or bad. No one actually cares how bad I look. I am my worst critic, so why should I keep beating myself up. I've accepted that it's okay to not progress sometimes. I've accepted that I will want to stop doing something I love, but I can come back to it later with just as much love. Most of all I've stopped feeling like I should be the best. Learning to let go of all the negativity in my mind has been the healthiest thing I've ever done. 

It's hard to imagine the old me, but refreshing to realize that I've accomplished a good deal in the last four years. I'm glad I'm here, and I hope it only keeps getting better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment